CenturyLink Solution Architect in Winnersh, United Kingdom
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) at http://www.centurylink.com is a global communications and IT services company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the digital world. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting, cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband, voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit CenturyLink at http://www.centurylink.com/ for more information.
Solution Engineering Manager
CenturyLink is a global IT solutions leader that powers the needs of businesses of all sizes through our hybrid IT services including public and private cloud, data centre colocation, managed hosting and network services.
In Europe, we work with leading brands, such as Cancer Research UK, easyJet, Euromoney, G4 Security and Universal Music. Every day we help our clients to deliver agility, innovation and speed to market for their businesses. Every minute they harness the scalability and economics of cloud-based technologies.
An S&P 500 company, CenturyLink is included amongst the Fortune 500 list of America's largest corporations, employing over 48000 people worldwide with operating revenue in excess of 17 billion dollars.
To improve lives, strengthen businesses and connect communities by delivering advanced technologies and solutions with a professional, honest and personalised service approach. Together we will be the Infrastructure Solutions leader in our market space.
Purpose of Position:
This is an exciting opportunity to join the customer facing EMEA Solutions Engineering team (Technical Pre-Sales) that has a proven track record of successful solution design. The successful candidate will benefit from joining a skilled and helpful team experienced in utilising the broad CenturyLink portfolio to help customers strengthen their business.
The Solution Architect is accountable for supporting the EMEA Sales team by providing high-quality consultancy to identify or establish the business need(s) for Clients and Prospects within the EMEA region.
This role is loosely aligned to a specific Sales team and is responsible for the qualification and initial engagement with the Seller and the Client.
• Use the CenturyLink Solution Transformation Methodology to identify and manage Client business needs, functional and non-functional requirements;
• To engage at all levels within our Clients or Prospects and be comfortable in educating and presenting to these variations level of management;
• Scope Client’s requirements ensuring that the messaging on the company’s proposition both internally and externally is maintained;
• Ensure robust and accurate handover, fulfilling all technical documentations requirements agreed with the Delivery organisation.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Working in the EMEA Solutions Engineering team to ensure all technical aspects of our Client’s requirements are delivered in a timely and coherent manner.
• Positive – recognises areas for improvement and takes ownership of them where possible, but does not dwell on them if not
• Solution owner – take full ownership of each client solution, regardless of product mix – lead the virtual cross functional team to ensure cohesive end to end solutions are defined, documented, and successfully handed over to delivery
• Thought leader - can demonstrate industry segment knowledge on how technology has solved real world Client needs and challenges
• Can either establish a business need, through Client dialogue, or take an already established Client business need and map this onto functional and non-functional requirements;
• Excellent organisational skills - able to work on multiple opportunities for multiple Clients at the same time
• Accuracy at pace – able to ensure quality is never compromised even though the velocity of an opportunity is high
• Build technical relationships within Clients either from the initial engagement for new business or in established Clients
• Use the “good enough” design principle to ensure that the most cost effective solution that meets requirements is achieved.
• Lead Pre-Sales technical engagements with the Client.
• Assist with qualification of opportunities in partnership with the Sales Representative
• Demonstrate proven history of Pre-Sales design expertise within the Enterprise
• Demonstrate technical and advisory leadership for customers, sales, and other consultants & engineers
• Assist with preparation and delivery of presentations and proposals with Account Executives, Solution Engineers and Consultants
• Demonstrate technical and advisory leadership for Clients, Technical Pre-Sales, Sales, and other Consultants and effectively communicate the technical and business message
• Provide feedback for internal contacts in Product Management and Marketing based on Client engagements and perceived industry needs.
• Provide input into case studies and technical whitepapers on areas of Client interest
• Drive Colocation, Cloud, Network and Managed Hosting opportunities toward closure and see them smoothly through the company process
• Drive and in still solution best practices across regional team
Who will be the successful candidate?
• Relevant IT certifications (e.g. MCSE, CCNA, etc.)
• Cloud Solutions: Strong knowledge of Cloud concepts. Good technical understanding around existing Public, Private & Hybrid Cloud offerings (e.g. CenturyLink Cloud, Azure, Amazon, Google etc.) and integration with Cloud management tools, e.g. vCloud Director, Eucalyptus, Novell, Nimbula, etc.
• Systems: Main focus on Wintel based technologies, including but not only, x86 systems, Active Directory, DNS, WINS, desktop & server operating systems, RAS, SSL, VPN and Windows networking in general.
• Storage: Good experience in storage. Candidates should have strong skills in the following: EMC, Brocade, 3Par, NetApp, SAN, NAS, zoning, fiber channel, iSCSI solutions etc;
• Networks: Good experience in networking. Candidates should have strong skills in the following: F5 (LTM & GTM), Cisco, Juniper, LAN/WAN internetworking (Ethernet, IP VPN, Frame Relay, ATM);
• Security: Good experience in security. Candidates should have strong skills in the following: (Cisco, Juniper, CheckPoint, etc.), VPN, gateways, firewalls, intrusion detection and prevention systems, encryption at rest and transit, identity management, SSO, strong authentication, penetration testing and all relevant aspects of security in virtualised and cloud multi-tenanted environments.
• Subject Matter Expertise in one of the following areas:
o Big Data & Analytics
o Managed Security Services
• Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills
• Strong communication skills (oral, written and presentation), should also be able to engage at C-level
• Good experience of using consultative approach and engagement styles
• Demonstrable experience in developing high-end infrastructure solutions
• Demonstrable experience in the IT industry – should be a trusted and respected TDA as well as a technical advisor both to the customer and to his/her peers
• Must have worked in a customer facing role
• The ability to deliver without a pre-defined customer agenda
• The ability to document solution components in a timely manner while ensuring acceptable level of detail, data integrity, and accountability
• Knowledge of Visio or other drawing and documentation tools
• Some travel may be required through the UK and Europe
• Industry vertical experience: e.g. Retail/Media/Public Sector/Financial/Legal
• High level knowledge of data centre environmental facilities including power distribution, uninterruptible power switching systems, generators, air handling equipment, cabling and cable management systems, fire suppression, and security.
• Experience in transformation/migration solutions from/to private/hybrid/public clouds
• Desirable relevant certifications e.g. ITIL, TOGAF, COBIT, DODAF, SABSA etc
• Full UK driving license (with the ability to travel to company offices and client sites across EMEA).
Success will be measured by what you accomplish and how you accomplish:
• Have a ‘can do’ attitude and a willingness to work hard to achieve the company goals;
• Be a positive, contributing member of the sales teams;
• Champion products from CenturyLink and contribute positively to their ongoing success
• Take ownership of issues
• Strong decision making
• Communicate effectively with all stakeholders in the sales cycle
• Deal effectively with failure; demonstrate an ability to learn from mistakes
• Have integrity
• Be recognised as an expert resource for Pre-Sales engineering, specifically around network capability
• Produce high quality proposal and solution documents
• Attend sales meetings to help position the company services and expertise, be an enabler to new business.
We are committed to attracting skilled employees, but importantly employees who echo the standards, ethics and culture that underpin our vision and strategy. This means you will have the integrity and drive to do the "right thing", not just the "easy thing". You will be effective in working with teams of people with shared goals. You will be committed and decisive, prioritising effectively, and maintaining a clear focus to stay the course. With your energetic, positive approach you will deeply understand the importance of your colleagues and peers.
All employees or contractors that work on behalf of CenturyLink UK Ltd may be asked to undergo vetting or security clearance based on the work carried out and the requirements of our Clients. It is a condition the successful applicant is able to pass these checks.
- This position description is not designed to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Alternate Location: UK-Berkshire-Winnersh; UK-London-London Bank
Requisition # : 138007
* *Please Note: The following posting is for a Project-Based position with a defined start and end date (limited term). Depending on the project, the term of employment will be between 3 and 24 months. The employment end date will be tied to the project end date (although there is no guarantee of continued employment at any point).
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.